Saturday, June 16, 2007

DC Magnetic Field

Environmental Concerns -

These should not be confused with AC magnetic fields or with high frequency fields. This kind of field is produced by the earth and by man-made permanent magnets.

Our bodies developed biologically in the uniform DC magnetic field of the Earth. Deviations in the earth's natural magnetic field either in strength or direction are cause for concern and prudent avoidance.

More than 60% of all inner spring mattresses and box springs tested show non-uniform magnetic hot spots along, the length of the bed. These hot spots cause a shift in the location of true north so far as the body is concerned, but only for the parts of the body lying on the hot spots. (See also the High Frequency EMF section for comments on other effects from bed springs.) Other objects around the bed may be non-uniformly and strongly magnetized. For example: the bed frame, steel furnishings, steel objects stored under or around the bed.

Health Effects: Studies in Europe indicate disturbed DC magnetic fields in the sleeping place confuses the body and can cause insomnia, chronic fatigue, and other sleep related problems. DC fields have been shown to influence enzyme activity, oxygen usage, and the growth rate of cancer cells. Some people wearing glasses with a magnetized frames have been reported to have strong headaches. Some types of stereo headphones use magnets for the speaker and also have caused headaches. Studies show sleeping with your head to the north optimizes red blood cell production and yields optimal deepness of sleep.

It is best to sleep with no steel in or around the bed. This can be accomplished using a futon or a natural latex rubber mattress. A waterbed could be satisfactory, but the water heater subjects the body to high EMF. Insulating blankets are available that makes heater use unnecessary. The vinyl container for the water gives off plasticizer fumes that will add more unwanted stress to the sleeping place.

Use a bed frame made of wood.

Orient your bed so your head points north.

Check new mattresses before purchase for magnetic variation using a liquid filled compass. The needle deviation should be no more than 2 degrees to be ideal no more than 10 to be weak.

Use magnetic health products cautiously.

INDOOR AIR POLLUTION is now our nation's number one environmental health concern. - Environmental Protection Agency - 1995, statement to the U.S. Senate.

FUNGI: Fungi belongs to the kingdom of heterotrophic single-celled, multinucleated, or multicellular organisms, including yeasts, molds, and mushrooms. Previously classified in the plant kingdom, fungi are nonmotile, like plants, but lack the vascular tissues that form the true roots, stems, and leaves of plants. Unlike algae or plants, fungi lack the chlorophyll necessary for photosynthesis and must therefore live as parasites or saprobes. Typically they release digestive enzymes onto a food source, partially dissolving it to make the necessary organic or inorganic nutrients available. Some fungi are pathogenic to humans and other animals. Some molds, in particular, release toxic chemicals called mycotoxins that can result in poisoning or death.

MOLD: A common term for microscopic forms of fungi; a growth of fungi forming a furry patch, as on stale bread or cheese. See also spore. Mold and fungi are organisms with rigid cell walls but no chlorophyll. The most common indoor molds are Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. All molds may cause allergic reactions in humans sensitive to mold. Molds will grow anywhere indoors where there is moisture and a food source. Many building materials provide this needed food source - many consist of cellulose materials that are particularly suitable for mold growth when they are wet. Examples include paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products. See also: Stachybotrys chartarum.

MYCOTOXIN: Certain molds (such as Aspergillus, Fusarium, Penicillium, Chaetomium and Stachybotrys) release chemicals during their metabolic cycle called mycotoxins, which can be toxic to humans and animals. These chemicals can be found in the mold spores, within the mold itself, and in the materials that the mold is growing. Inhalation of mold spores or dust containing mycotoxins can result in human exposure with potentially severe heath effects. Home Safety