Thursday, May 27, 2010

Should You Store Food?

I came across this website by 'accident' - Why Store Food? .. but finding the site relates in some way to my last post .. Part of the reason I was doing my own 'self-sustaining' research on my preferred - Probiotic Cleaning Post - is because we depend so much on =PRODUCTS= and I was seriously thinking how can we change this? Especially when it comes to cleaning products and hygiene for the home. I was thinking what would I do if I had to rely on my own initiative?

If anyone has used Kefir grains, they will know that the Kefir grains grow faster than you can deal with them. In this way the probiotics taught me that in nature organic forms digest organic forms. Fungus digests decaying matter and obviously returns it to its molecular state, and probiotics keep fungus and mold in their place (they are life-defenders). Perhaps where there are no probiotics (the key micro-biological signature of healthy living matter) there is the signature for the breakdown of 'dead' physical matter and fungus grows.

With probiotics i don't have to scrub and scrape to clean - the little-biotics eat (digest) mold, bacteria, fungus and chalk .. which means that chalk grows from a bacteria or it is another form of 'fungus'. This means that stone, rock, crystal and minerals have formed from unseen micro-bacteria, yeasts, fungi and other micro building-blocks we don't yet have names for '-)

Should You Store food?
I am fortunate! I can live from cooked lentils (Dhal) and rice. I am vegetarian - no I don't eat fish - and many years ago I taught myself to live on a simple level. One can grow seeds and sprouts in containers [Living Food Lifestyle - Ann Wimgore], or sprouted grains can be pounded in a mortar and either eaten or dried and stored as breads. So, the real problem in an 'emergency' are HABITS .. restrictions on patterns of what we are used to.

For thousands of years our ancestors and forefathers stored food. The native Americans dried and stored food, especially for scouting, hunting and travel. I would camp in the Scottish Highlands, where villages and communities would have to store food, because in winter heavy snowfall and ice can completely cut off villages and farmers. Only recently do individual families and communities neglect to store dried food. Do the research .. storing food for potential hardship has been the backbone of human communities across time.

Did Neanderthal people store food? "Neanderthals used their Homes, Food, Clothing, and Tools and Weapons to survive in the wild Environment they lived in. These early men built permanent homes, to shelter from the long, harsh winter of the Ice Age. In the summer, they followed the herds, and lived in tents and caves... They also ate fish and seemed to have an ample supply of freshly caught game. There lives were not a constant struggle for survival because they were such good hunters. They learned to organize hunts and to cure and store food for the long winter."

Most probably human ingenuity is related to the ability to store food, store resources and preempt drought, hardship, disruption of food-gathering and hunting, avoidance of starvation when crops fail. Isn't this what the ancient Egyptian storehouses were all about? Therefore, this tendency is a natural human asset. It is also the ability to have an understanding of the 'basics' .. what you need rather than what you think you need (or want).

You and/or your community can grow and store your own food ..