Monday, June 04, 2007

Candida Albicans, Parasites & Food Allergy

I have been stalking this little monster (candida) for months! It started off with what officially, in medical terms, seemed to be a 'pollen allergy'. I was fine until the pollen season began. The pollen allergy did not go away, and it seemed to morph into a 'food allergy', triggered by eating normal store bought mushrooms. I was able to zero in on the mushrooms, because I experienced the same allergy reaction I had the last time I ate mushrooms, months earlier. I don't eat mushrooms so often and so it was easy to pin down. However, the mushroom allergy reaction (aflatoxin) passed itself onto a whole load of other foods like whole wheat bread and brown rice, and a range of vegetarian food and vegetables I later suspected of being infected with mold or fungus.

So, I tried sprouting the brown rice to see if it would sprout and grow, because I wanted know what was causing the general food allergy reaction. I sprouted brown rice many years ago (1992-1995), during which time I did not experience the sprouts growing masses of fungus. However, this time, in May 2007, the organic brown rice did sprout - along with a tray full of mould and fungus, which happily grew together as a big mold family on the sprouting grains of rice. What has happened between 1995 and 2007 to cause such a large fungal contamination of organic grains?

At this point I was convinced that my allergies were not due to the actual foods, tomatoes, brown rice, whole wheat, nuts and herbs... but that my body was reacting to the molds and fungus in or on the food. I eliminated all food from my diet and began a ten day herb tea fast where all my 'allergy symptoms' disappeared except when I drank certain teas (like Pu-Er), and when I eliminated those teas I was fine. Pu-Er is supposed to be a health tea, but if it is contaminated with pesticides, heavy metals or fungus it is not so healthy.

Initially, this left me drinking organic Stinging Nettle tea (Brennnessel), Camomile (Kamillen), Calamus (Kalmus), Bedstraw (Labkraut), Mistletoe (Mistel), Plantain (Spitzwegerich), Sage (Salbei), Oregano and Yarrow (Schafgarbe). Once all the allergy symptoms were eliminated I began a colon detox and parasite cure. I also began to step by step test what foods I was having allergic reactions to.

Sure, it was bread brown and white. But not to gluten, because I was reacting to all the grains... the organic rice, the organic millet, the organic buckwheat and the organic corn. This is when I became convinced that a large proportion of the food I was buying was contaminated with high levels of mold and fungus. I did a few sprouting tests and I found that the mold on the grains grew better than the sprouting grains.

Even stranger, when I tried to sprout different kinds of reputable organic dinkel, whole barley and whole wheat, I found that the grains were dead and that they would not sprout. Either they were too old, they were sterilised or they were contaminated with GM terminator seeds? I did find varieties that would sprout, but most of the whole grains I tested would not sprout. I thought, okay! Maybe they have been stored for long periods? Maybe they have been sterilised or irradiated? All I know is that they wont sprout and that mold did not grow on the organic non-sprouting whole grains either. Plenty of mold and plenty of fungus will grow on the grains that sprout.

I began to do some research and I watched how my body was reacting and behaving with the different foods that I eat. I narrowed the long trail of pollen allergies, and food allergies, and mold allergies to the next reaction: A fresh organic apple. This brought me to Candida Albicans and mycotoxins. From my own experience they are all related and they all set each other off.

In my personal observation of allergy symptoms, I am beginning to wonder how much the undetected growth of Candida has to do with the general official diagnosis that I was experiencing pollen and food allergies. Although I was tested for allergies to fungus and molds, because my skin did not react the tests were read as 'negative', when inwardly (in my gut) I had a severe reaction and I got very dizzy and very sick. If the diagnosis does not show on the skins surface then the inner reaction is considered 'psychosomatic'.

I had to figure all this out for myself through trial and error, as I could not accept that the body will generally over-react to food for no apparent reason. I just don't beleive it, and I watched the body reacting to something. So, I figured out that something had to be in the food. By doing a parasite and colon cleanse I was able to eliminate the skin response to some foods almost immediately. In doing so I discovered that the something in the food causing the body to overreact is due to mold and is due to fungus. Somehow, this triggered the growth and spread of Candida Albicans. I suspect that the combination of these contamination factors leads to a deadly cocktail of some kind that the body reacts to, because the body KNOWS this stuff is poisonous. That is my theory based on observing how my body reacts to everyday 'fresh' organic food.

I am beginning to understand that there is no one single factor causing these reactions, I have observed a combination of factors. For example, non-organic imported tea will set off an allergic reaction that is worse when the tea is contaminated with pesticide, lead, toxins, heavy metals or mercury. All those factors added together are greater than the liver's capacity to clean out the toxins. I have the kind of mind that wants to understand what factors lead to Candida suddenly becoming a problem.

The body can deal with a small element of food contamination, but cannot cope when most of the food we eat is contaminated in some way. There has always been a certain level of fungus or mold contamination of herbs, spices and grain. If you stop to read the recent dramatic globalisation of allergies, why is this? This is not only the increase in pesticide and heavy metal contamination of basic foods (rice), but is also due to the increasing contamination of basic foods by molds, fungus and yeast. Add parasites to this cocktail and you have a mixture the body cannot tolerate.

People do not realise that parasites also excrete their own waste as they grow inside the host body. Those waste products (parasite pee) are extremely toxic. Parasites excrete, what is to the cells of our bodies, a toxic poison.

"Once they're inside you, they lay eggs and excrete waste." - Dr Natura
"To make matters worse, parasites not only consume what nutrients we do get in food, but they also excrete waste just like any other organism." - Koyfman Center
"Parasites, bacteria and other pathogens feed on metals and toxins in order to keep living." - Dr Clark

Candida & Mycotoxins

Aflatoxin: One of the most potent carcinogens known. It occurs in beer, peanuts, brazil nuts, bulk grains and bread (more than a few days old), overripe fruit and apple cider vinegar (is especially bad). One hefty dose of aflatoxin can debilitate the liver for years. Thus losing it's ability to detoxify.

Patulin: A deadly mycotoxin. That is associated with cancer. It occurs in overripe apples and other overripe fruits.

Zearalenone: A corn mold mycotoxin. It occurs in brown rice, popcorn, corn chips and other corn products.

Ergot: Associated with cancer and occurs in whole grain products, honey and alcoholic beverages.
The importance of the above-mentioned mycotoxins is they can further weaken your immune system. They are actually used as food by candida albicans thus making matters even worse. If you are sick. You should avoid these foods if at all possible. Candida Diet

Anti-Candida Diet
65% High fiber low starch vegetables such as; broccoli, celery, radish and asparagus. Plenty of fresh steamed veggies: Vegetables that inhibit the growth of candida are: onions, garlic, ginger root, cabbage, broccoli, turnips and kale. Raw onions and garlic are very good natural anti-fungals.

20% High protein foods such as; antibiotic free fish, fowl, nuts, seeds and eggs. note: spray all nuts and seeds with a solution of 15-30 drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water and spray or soak them for a few minutes to remove any aflatoxins molds or fungus that may be present.

10% Complex carbohydrate; rice, beans, millet, amaranth, quinoa and buckwheat.

5% Fruit; papaya, pineapple, grapefruit and all types of berries. Other acceptable foods are sea foods and sea veggies, olive oil, eggs, mayonnaise, white rice, soy and vegetable pastas, some citrus fruit, herb teas and unsweetened cranberry juice.

Remember that candida diet restriction is the most important way to stop candida yeast overgrowth. This type of candida diet also reduces these unpleasant effects; headaches, nausea and fatigue known as the "herxhiemer reaction". This reaction is caused by the release of toxins when pathogenic microbes "die-off".

There is a strong connection between what you eat and the health of your immune system. Nevertheless, nutritional approaches to prevent and treat conditions like candidiasis (fungal, yeast infections) are complicated and controversial. While there isn't a magic recipe that prevents or treats yeast infections in everyone, following some basic guidelines such as this candida diet may lower the risk of yeast becoming a problem.

Most nutritionists agree that any good candida diet should reduce as much as possible processed sugar, yeast, dairy, wheat, caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. They are the main culprits because they help candida yeast to grow.

Another important consideration is to prevent unintentional ingestion of mold fungi, it is recommended that you disinfect fruit, vegetables, and salad in a grapefruit seed extract water solution for 10 minutes.